February 22, 2018
Karen Tiano +1 978 495 0093
MilliporeSigma Strengthens Corporate Responsibility Efforts with Nine New Signature Partnerships
- New and expanded partnerships accelerate scientific research, science education
Burlington, Massachusetts, February 22, 2018 — Building on its commitment to accelerate scientific research and science education, MilliporeSigma today announced nine new or expanded partnerships with leading nonprofit organizations across the world. These long-term, multi-dimensional partnerships are designed to spark scientific curiosity and passion — paving the road for innovative breakthroughs with demonstrated impact and measurable outcomes.
“We have a long history of supporting innovative research- and education-based organizations, not only through financial investments, but also through the active involvement of our employees,” said Udit Batra, CEO, MilliporeSigma. “All of our signature partnerships include skills-based volunteer components, allowing our employees to bring their technical expertise and passion for science to communities around the world.”
To support today’s scientists in accelerating access to health, MilliporeSigma has announced several partnerships geared toward scientific research.
- Boston Children’s Hospital — MilliporeSigma is supporting Boston Children’s Hospital with efforts spanning both scientific research and science education. This includes a donation to support the development of an injectable form of oxygen; hands-on science experiences for patients through MilliporeSigma’s Curiosity Labs™ program; and a “Curiosity Cart” program to deliver science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education, as well as virtual reality experiences for patients.
- BioSTL — MilliporeSigma is partnering with BioSTL to advance St. Louis’ bioscience and innovation ecosystem through a variety of programs. The partnership will help local bioscience startups build their businesses through an entrepreneurship engagement component, in which MilliporeSigma employees will serve as mentors to help the startups solve problems. This partnership will also further BioSTL’s work to promote diversity, inclusion and equity by providing science education opportunities to female and minority students from local middle and high schools.
- JDRF— MilliporeSigma is partnering with this leading global diabetes organization to support scientific innovation by creating opportunities to attract young, international scientists to pursue a career in type 1 diabetes (T1D) research through postdoctoral fellowship awards. MilliporeSigma employees will also participate in local community activities to raise awareness about T1D, raise funds for research and support local T1D communities.
- Seeding Labs — Through an expanded partnership with Seeding Labs — which provides lab equipment, training and support to scientists in developing countries — MilliporeSigma will sponsor a new TeleScience online platform. Designed to accelerate teaching and research for thousands of scientists, this platform will include educational videos and sessions created and led by trained employees.
To spark curiosity in the next generation of scientists, MilliporeSigma has announced the following signature partnerships that focus on the advancement of science education.
- Chemistry on the Go — MilliporeSigma is partnering with Tamkang University (Taiwan) on its Chemistry on the Go program to fund an additional mobile science lab — reaching more than 60,000 students annually. Employees from the company’s campuses in Taiwan will volunteer and provide guidance on experiment development. MilliporeSigma will also develop a structured professional development program for teachers.
- Discovery World — Through a partnership with this interactive science and technology center in Milwaukee, MilliporeSigma will support the development of the “MilliporeSigma Virtual Explorer,” an exhibit that allows visitors to easily explore various science concepts using virtual reality equipment. Employees will assist with core scientific principles and engage thousands of students during MilliporeSigma Science Days.
- Girlstart — MilliporeSigma is expanding its partnership with Girlstart to support its national expansion into Houston, Boston and St. Louis through the availability of summer camps and after-school programs. Employees will provide guidance on topics and lessons through extensive volunteer opportunities.
- Technorama —Through a partnership with the Swiss Science Center Technorama, MilliporeSigma will help develop and operate a fully equipped, state-of-the-art branded wet lab, reaching more than 70,000 visitors annually. Technorama will use this lab to provide science-focused professional development for teachers throughout Switzerland. Employees will also collaborate with Technorama science education experts to develop new lessons for its innovative Curiosity Labs™ program.
- KIPP St. Louis — MilliporeSigma is partnering with the Knowledge Is Power Program (KIPP) to expand and strengthen its middle school science program, increase access to science equipment and provide funding for two additional schools. Employees will donate their time and expertise, serving as mentors to students.
For more information on MilliporeSigma’s employee and community engagement initiatives, visit the Corporate Responsibility page here.
About the Corporate Responsibility Efforts of the Life Science Business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany
Through its corporate responsibility initiatives, the Life Science business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, which operates as MilliporeSigma in the U.S. and Canada, harnesses the collective expertise, passion and energy of employees to minimize its environmental footprint and positively impact communities around the world.
The Life Science business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany is uniquely positioned to solve the toughest problems in life science through its efforts aligned with strengths in research, innovation and collaboration with the global scientific community. This helps differentiate its business and provides a competitive edge for its customers, while accelerating access to health for people everywhere. The Life Science business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt Germany demonstrates its commitment to corporate responsibility through extensive programs in three main areas: Greener Products and Solutions — which includes Design for Sustainability, Green Chemistry, Packaging and Recycling initiatives; Employee and Community Engagement; and Sustainable Operations.
About the Life Science Business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany
The Life Science business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, which operates as MilliporeSigma in the U.S. and Canada, has some 22,000 employees and 59 manufacturing sites worldwide, with a portfolio of more than 300,000 products focused on scientific discovery, biomanufacturing and testing services.
Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany completed its $17 billion acquisition of Sigma-Aldrich in November 2015, creating a leader in the $125 billion global life science industry.
Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, a leading science and technology company, operates across healthcare, life science and performance materials. Around 57,000 employees work to make a positive difference to millions of people’s lives every day by creating more joyful and sustainable ways to live. From advancing gene-editing technologies and discovering unique ways to treat the most challenging diseases to enabling the intelligence of devices – the company is everywhere. In 2019, Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany generated sales of €16.2 billion in 66 countries.
The company holds the global rights to the name and trademark “Merck” internationally. The only exceptions are the United States and Canada, where the business sectors of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany operate as EMD Serono in healthcare, MilliporeSigma in life science, and EMD Performance Materials. Since its founding 1668, scientific exploration and responsible entrepreneurship have been key to the company’s technological and scientific advances. To this day, the founding family remains the majority owner of the publicly listed company. For more information about Merck, KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, visit www.emdgroup.com.