Our History

 
 
In 1954, a modest filtration company with just a handful of employees, opened for business. The Millipore Filter Company pioneered the use of membrane technology in hundreds of applications. Later changing its name to Millipore Corporation to reflect its growing range of products and expanded core capabilities, the company would expand - through strategic acquisitions, targeted capital investments, and organic growth - to a global, billion dollar Life Science corporation. In 2010, Millipore Corporation was acquired by Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, and became part of the company’s life science tools division. With a range of more than 60,000 products on offer, this division captures significant opportunities in high-growth, high-margin market segments such as bio-research and bio-production.

As Part of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt Germany
Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany is a global pharmaceutical, chemical and life science company with a history that began in 1668 and a future shaped by approximately 38,000 employees in 66 countries. The company’s subsidiaries in North America operate using the umbrella brand "EMD."